Monday, April 22, 2013

I'll have a donut, bartender

Why is it that I can admit I am an alcoholic but not a sugarolic? (I just made up that word, I think.) Or that I was able to learn to like all of those nasty tasting alcohols like Jack Daniels, Jaegermeister, Goldschlager and all the others.  Even that first drink of vodka during a freshman year road trip to Denver. Or the second time as a sophomore in the Centennial Hall Cafeteria when the daughter of a Lutheran minister brought a bottle of cheap vodka to drink after the Christmas holiday dinner.  We poured soda from the machine and Siri poured a huge (or maybe not) glug of it on top and I drank straight from the cup without mixing it. That was the same night I said fuck.

During the drinking years I really didn't "do" sugar. Alcohol contains plenty of substances that convert into sugar in addition to providing that warm feeling in the pit of my stomach. Or that wonderful buzz that turns into a way of not thinking.

Since I've been sober, I've sought out sugar to create that buzz. Although it's really a poor substitute. The peanut M&M's,the licorice,  the Skittles that are sorted out by colors and eaten in a specific order (green, yellow, orange, red and purple - I really like the new green apple).

So why is it that I could quit alcohol, but not sugar?  Why is it that I use the excuse that a bag of Skittles is better than a  bottle of vodka? Why can't I apply the 12 steps to processed food?

Today is my first step in SA (Sugarolics Anonymous). I admit that I am powerless over sugar and processed food. I will endeavor to eliminate this poison from my palate and become a sugar free person. Not quite sure how to do it, but I know that it begins with taking each meal or food at a time. 24 hours at a time.

Except, I am not ready to give up my 20 ounces of liquid Coke Classic or  Dr. Pepper.  Afterall, we strive for progress, not perfection.




No comments: