Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day Four - March 24, 2009

Eating dinner on a deck with the Coqui frog sounding like a bird for ambient music after an exhilarting day on the ocean. The patio is covered by a tree with gynormous leaves- they could be beet greens on steroids, palm fronds and a black sky scattered with stars. A light breeze from the ocean (sans dead fish smell) turns the overexposed skin to goosebumps.

I am going to expand my culinary experience tonight by trying a dish called pork mofongu. It just arrived in a giant wooden chalice. Note that it is dark, I read the menu by candlelight. But I am stilling going to pick out the cebollas (onions.-was afraid to ask what was in it beside plantains.) It’s pretty good once the onions are gone. The pork is coated with the plantains and fried. Probably not what my naturopathic doctor would approve of, but I worked off about 5000 calories today snorkeling in the ocean. Yes, me the girl who doesn’t like to put her face in the apartment complex pool swam in the ocean.

Katie and I spent the day aboard the Islena, a twin hulled powered catamaran, captained by the muy guapo Arturo and his padre Edwin. (Also good looking for the older cougar women)









Our first stop was Icacos, a little deserted island. Nice calm, shallow water for the neophytes like myself.


After paddling around for a while, we headed for Palomino Island where the bigger coral reef was.


So in full aqautic gear, looking like a dork, I set off in search of fish. And I found some. Maybe this was what Jacques Costeau felt when he was like eight. I swam with redbanded parrotfish, stoplight parrotfish, yellow jacktail, bar jack, blue chromis, porkfish, yellowtail snapper, foureye butterflyfish, hundreds of sergeant majors and yellow goatfish, bluehead wrasse and an ugly trunkfish chapin.






And so tired and crusted with sea salt, we headed
back to San Juan. We were greeted by the ferocious dock guard iguanas.


It was so great, I have booked tomorrow to snorkel again. This time I will be prepared. I have learned how to relax and breathe without hyperventilating. How to tell a good mask fix. And I am bringing a waterproof camera and some bread to entice the fishies to within the camera range.

Today was just indescribable . And challenging. Liberating, Exhilarating. And a conquering of some personal fears. That fear being in water without the boundaries of a pool where your feet can touch the bottom.

And as a side note, beware of iguanas who like to express their adrenaline junkie sides by racing across the freeways. Glad we had Hercules when we hit the 4 foot long monster at 65 miles per hour (. It’s been a while since I’ve had to note a kill by vehicle to my total (4 deer, a coyote, a duck and a rattlesnake (the snake was intentional).
And thus ended the day, exhausted, and sensing the rocking of the boat as I drifted to sleep.

No comments: