Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day Five - March 25, 2009

Another 13 hours on the go. Returned to the hotel in the dark (still haven’t gotten home in the daylight). Took some wrong turns, AGAIN. I am not even going to try to learn the route, going in circles can be a good lesson in patience.

The coqui frogs serenaded me again as Hercules and I returned to the hotel. Still no sightings.

I went on the sailboat, East Wind, today. A lot bigger than the Islena, more people. The sky was cloudier and windier. I enjoyed both trips for different reasons. I liked Arturo and Edwin better-more personal interaction with the tourists. But the sail boat has a different feel, more poetic, more rhythmic, more romantic and full of potential.

I made a personally huge decision and left my camera at home. It felt naked.

I was a lot better with the snorkel and mask. Didn’t swallow as much salt water as yesterday.
Our stops were both in the area of Icacos-the beach swim and a reef on the back of the island.
The food was the same and still delicious after all the swimming.

The waterproof camera experiment was a huge disappointment. I shot 50 pics. Lots of murky water, thumbs, and piecesof bread. I like maybe two. I need to realize –it’s not my SLR, the fish are fast, the current moved me in the opposite direction, the water was kind of murky, the sky was overcast for the second snorkel. So, all in all, I guess two is not bad.

After the boat returned I went in search of a shop where one of the crew got really cool earrings. Across from the entrance to El Yunque National Forest were the directions. Never found the store but ended up driving up to almost the top of the rainforest. And surprisingly, it rained. A nice change from the desert.








So exhausted and happy, I again fall asleep feeling the ocean waves under my bed.

No comments: