Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Monday, March 22, 2009 - Day Two –

This is the view from my balcony. Never did make it to the pool or the beach during the daylight.
It was nice that there were no bugs, I kept the glass door open while editing photos to warm up the room at night.

Let me introduce Hercules. Even though the Yaris was kind of cute and zippy, I decided that for my mid-life crisis trip to the islands, a Jeep would be more fun. So off came the top, map in hand and the mantra of “head west young women”. Katie and I were off the Rincon, a beach on the west side of the island. A few American songs on the radio. We didn’t make it to Rincon, but stopped at Isabella Beach. Only one little wrong turn down a one way and a little bump into a vehicle while backing up and being honked at.
The rock formations, the waves, the wind, the palm trees. It was wonderful. And best of all, unlike the beach in Mazatlan, there was no lingering scent of rotting fish flesh.



I was proud of myself, I only took a couple hundred photos. Thank god and Sony for digital cameras.

There was some interesting art and grafitti. So much artistic talent that goes to waste. If only that energy and passion could be harnessed.



And then there's the banyan trees. (I think that's what they are based on Wikipedia). Apparently the seeds of the ficus (fig) take root in a host tree and start growing over the structure of that tree.

So after a few hours of sitting on the beach, it was headed back to the hotel. A couple of wrong turns in the dark, but we made it. Big dinner at the hotel restaurant and planning Monday's travel plan. Stay tuned.....

No comments: